5 Things HBO’s True Blood Taught Me About Fashion & Beauty

makeup fashion beauty  5 Things HBOs True Blood Taught Me About Fashion & Beauty

I don’t think anyone can argue that there is something inherently sexy about vampires.  In almost every story you might be reading, or  television show or movie you may be watching, they exude sensuality and passion.  It defines them.

The vampires on HBO’s True Blood are no different.  Though at times cold and calculating, they are ultimately ruled by their passions and relationships with the residents of Bon Temps, Louisiana.

Yet in the middle of all the drama there is levity and inspiration found in the form of fashion.

A scene where powerful (hot) vampire Eric Northman is getting his hair-highlighted is the perfect example of this (check it out here).  He may look ridiculous, but he doesn’t let that affect him.

Or what about the time Eric was wearing… a dress? Check that one out here.

So… what else can True Blood teach us? Quite a bit actually!

1. Emphasize your best features

What is your best feature?  Is it your to-die-for bone structure?  Your amazing eyes?  Your Angelina Jolie lips?  Your J.Lo booty?  Your Tara Thornton arms?  Your “girls”?  Whatever it is… play it up!  Don’t just be proud of it – own it.  Make it your trademark.

2. Yes, you can be sassy, sexy and sweet

The day Jessica Hamby became a vampire she was transformed from a young, innocent child to a sexy woman.  She simply exudes sensuality.  Yet there is something different about her.  She has an underlying sweetness and sassiness that sets her apart from the rest and it is evident in her style.  Below is a great example of how to capture this look.  The delicate black lace top and studded choker add some edginess to her sweet pigtails and pink lips (try Bobbi Brown’s Guava Lipcolor or Tom Ford’s Pink Dusk).   Just like Captain Jack Sparrow, she knows no look is complete without that black eye kohl!

3. Remember your essentials for that trip to the pool (and beach)!

How many of you dress up for a trip to the pool?  Yes?  No?  Do you opt for poolside glamour or do you perhaps go a bit too casual?  Let’s face it, no woman wants to wear a full face of make-up and her best clothing to a pool.  She wants to keep things minimal and easy.  However, that doesn’t mean that we should be complete slobs – after all, who knows who you might run into!    There are five essentials you need to remember to bring with you:

• Sunscreen!
  • Shoes!
  • Sunglasses!
  • Swimsuit!
  • Something sparkly!

If you have those 5 things you’ll feel and look great!

4. There is a time and place for sweats and tracksuits

How many of you would wear your sweats to work or for a night on the town?  Anyone?  Unless you happen to work at a gym, the answer is likely no one.  There is a definite time and place for sweats and tracksuits and, as Pam De Beaufort and Eric illustrate below, most have to do with physical activity.  In those instances comfort is key and the appropriate attire will make your life much easier.   That being said – don’t forget to add some edginess or glamour by accessorizing!

5. Speaking of accessories… attitude is everything

Your attitude is your most important accessory.  So what if you are physically beautiful, have an endless wardrobe, money to burn and can live forever.  If you don’t have a positive attitude about yourself none of that matters.  Don’t blend into the crowd. Find out who you are as a person and own it.  Use your accessories – your jewelry, hairstyle and make-up – to reflect that personal style.

Conclusion

There is more to True Blood than meets the eye.  Behind all that drama and shirtlessness (see here and here and here) there are some valuable fashion lessons to be learned!

So, what do you think? Have you learned any fashion lessons from vampires? Werewolves? Witches? How about Fairies?

What surprising individual has taught you some lessons about style?

All images courtesy of Google Images and used for entertainment purposes only. True Blood and all its characters are the property of author Charlaine Harris and HBO.

{ 41 comments… add one }

CommentLuv badge

Notify me of follow-up comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.

• Tracy F. Presley July 5, 2011, 8:35 PM

Fashion is not about how we idolize celebrities but how we dress as who we are..

• IdStyle June 28, 2011, 10:09 PM

Love your analysis of the style on True Blood – it is such a great show for both entertainment and inspiration value!
    IdStyle latest blog post: Infatuation List: The Stylish Lesbian, Not an Oxymoron

• Mode Plus June 28, 2011, 7:08 AM

“Attitude is everything”, this is going to be my mantra of the week. Again, truly enjoyed your post.
    Mode Plus latest blog post: To the moon and back

• Madeline Quaint June 27, 2011, 2:36 PM

Love True Blood, and this post! :)
    Lafayette’s cool headscarves really inspire me!
    Madeline Quaint latest blog post: Links a la Mode 2 – IFB’s Weekly Roundup

• Evan Griffin June 26, 2011, 10:13 PM

I agree that attitude can play a big part in fashion…I am experimenting when it comes to dresses and accessories which also taught me how to improve my styles…

• Corinne June 26, 2011, 12:03 PM

hahaha love it! can you please replicate this post for other shows?!!!

Corinne xo
    Corinne latest blog post: Lovely Links à la Mode

• Fashnlvr June 26, 2011, 11:02 AM

What a fun post! I love that shot by the pool. That is exactly how I want to be. I may not wear makeup to the pool but a giant pair of sunglasses sure do help!
    Fashnlvr latest blog post: Favorite Summer Print

• Tasja June 26, 2011, 10:11 AM

Haha this is so much fun xD
    I agree with WendyB: Lafayette is definitely fierce :D

• WendyB June 24, 2011, 4:31 PM

Ha! Love this. Lafayette is definitely my top True Blood fashionista. I want him to do my eye makeup for me.
    WendyB latest blog post: Peter Falk Rejoins the Angels

• Jamila June 24, 2011, 12:34 PM

I think Lorena had great style too.

• Heather Fonseca June 23, 2011, 11:44 PM

Fantabulous article! I love true blood – TV show and books too. I can’t wait for you to take on Mad Men!

Heather
    Heather Fonseca latest blog post: Knock-off or not

• liz June 23, 2011, 10:29 PM

I love the Queen’s fashion, she’s so old time glamour mixed with sexy. But jessica is super cute too, the whole show is crazy inspiring fashion-wise

• cca. June 23, 2011, 1:10 PM

Soooooo cute, LOVE This. I love True Blood Too
    cca. latest blog post: Buy It- VERSACE Dot Printed Jacket and Pants Featured In Vogue March 2010 CIRCA Fashion

• For Those About To Shop June 23, 2011, 12:42 PM

Vampires ARE very sexy. I saw the first episode of True Blood on a plane a couple of years ago and was blown away by the quality of this show! HBO does it again and shows how amazing American independent television can be. Really raises the bar the same way Six Feet Under did. I loved how sexy and kind of campy it was and still need to catch up on the rest of it!
    For Those About To Shop latest blog post: Emma Watson covers July Vogue

• Fajr | Stylish Thought June 22, 2011, 10:38 PM

You don’t know how happy this post makes me! If I have learned nothing else from True Blood it’s that there should be a law forbidding hot men from wearing shirts. Ah in a perfect world!
    Fajr | Stylish Thought latest blog post: Rise All Girls- Support Dark Girls the Movie

• M @StyleSizzle June 20, 2011, 7:55 PM

Loving this post! Just like your Jack Sparrow one, I love when you take pop culture and extract fashion lessons. Original:)
    M @StyleSizzle latest blog post: 10 Vegas-worthy party dresses

• Hallie June 20, 2011, 2:14 AM

Hi lady! I just came across your blog (and this post) through Links a la Mode on IFB this week — love it, you have so much interesting content! This post is fun, I don’t think I’ll ever watch True Blood through the same lens anymore, ha!

- Hallie :)
    coralsandcognacs.blogspot.com

• Kathy Grin June 19, 2011, 11:21 PM

I really like fashion! I am a fan of models. They serve as inspiration to everyone. I really love this post so much!

• Julnequwa June 18, 2011, 11:44 PM

Omg I love this post!
    Julnequwa latest blog post:

• Jamie Rose June 18, 2011, 1:24 AM

This post was pretty much awesome. I love Pam and Jessica both so much. I can’t to watch the new season! I adore the ridiculous awesomeness of Sophie Anne’s wardrobe too. She always has so many amazing vintage-y things and isn’t afraid to wear a lot of bling!

• Metsy June 18, 2011, 12:25 AM

Number 1 and 5 are my top two rules. I wear bling, sequins, big hair and just ‘own it’. Also as a girl with large… well, everything… I usually choose from the bust up as my focus. Jewelry is a key to it all.

Great post even though I have never seen True Blood. :)
    Metsy latest blog post: Do you have Social Media Klout

• Kirstin Marie June 17, 2011, 10:41 PM

I LOVE this post. What a great bunch of photos and advice. I’m not going to lie and say I’m not a vampire lover, but my vampire love began with the amazing Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. Lestat was such an incredible character.
    Kirstin Marie latest blog post: Steaming like a pot full of vegetables

• daisymay June 17, 2011, 9:09 PM

Gotta love true blood!! Awesome show

Daisy Dayz Home
    Cross-Jones-Photography Home
    <a

• empress June 17, 2011, 8:03 PM

I LOVE this show, and yes they are all very stylish aren’t they. I love how you booked Tara is always showing off her arms!

-Shanny “Empress”

empress latest blog post: Where There’s Smoke…There’s Models

• Arash Mazinani June 17, 2011, 11:55 AM

Ha Ha not seen True Blood in a while, it used to be on late and I’d always fall asleep when it was on. But I did enjoy it. Again it’s awesome you’ve looked at it from a fashion point of view I’m starting to really enjoy this series.
    Arash Mazinani latest blog post: Bikini Basics

• Anna June 17, 2011, 6:01 AM

never seen True Blood, but I like your take on it!
    I think that I have to master using kohl…you know I went to see the Pirates of the Carribean and was thinking about your post about Jack Sparrow. I have to add that Penelope Cruz’s makeup was very nice too…I think she looked at her best!
    Anna latest blog post: Neon and Neutrals

• No Guilt Fashion June 16, 2011, 2:27 PM

Now I can’t wait for the season premier even more than I already was. Loved the TrueBlood fashion lessons.
    No Guilt Fashion latest blog post: Let Them Pick

• FASHION TALES June 16, 2011, 12:36 PM

Haha! Holy Skarsgård, B!! I love this, especially the poolside essentials… w/ bling! This is one of my favourite shows, it took me bit, but it grew on me very quickly. I enjoyed reading this fun post. And those are killer arms, yes…my goodness! :)
    Madison
    FASHION TALES latest blog post: Notions- Making the Most of What Ive Got!

• Blue June 16, 2011, 12:01 PM

I might have to start watching True Blood now…
    Blue latest blog post: Flea Market Finds

• Jamillah June 16, 2011, 10:53 AM

Hahahhaha, you are so immensely creative!!! I was laughing out loud with the poolside tips!!! Love that you are doing more of this fun situation. Word to accent your assets and accessorize with your attitude!

This is hilarious and brilliant!!!!

• A Brit Greek June 16, 2011, 4:02 AM

Brilliant post B! It’s so timely as the new season is launching here in Greece (I think we’re still way behind though). The montage of pics and tips are awesome!
    You are too funny girl. Loving the poolside glam shot.
    x.o.x.o
    A Brit Greek latest blog post: Heres looking at you- Zeta!

• Casee Marie June 16, 2011, 2:40 AM

O.M.G. Just let me pick myself up off the floor after that Joe Manganiello shot… Sweet merciful goodness.

Really, though, this post? Brilliant. I couldn’t agree more with absolutely everything! Those vamps capture dead chic to the fullest. Pam, I mean seriously? How fierce is she? And I love Jessica! Her personality and how it contrasts with her look is fantastic. But by far, vampire or non-vampire, the most stylish person in Bon Temps is Lafayette. The make-up, the bling, I’m always completely distracted from any storyline involving Lafayette thanks to his look. And his sassy mannerisms and his quick comebacks. The “AIDS Burger” scene from Season 1 is still probably my all-time favorite moment from the series. “Tip yo waitress.”

Amazing post, B! As usual.

• Nikki @ Styling You June 16, 2011, 2:23 AM

Oh, be still my beating heart. Eric. Hot, hot, hot. Cannot wait for the new series to start.
    Nikki @ Styling You latest blog post: Mad for Benefit Cha Cha Tint

• Elle June 15, 2011, 11:28 PM

I haven’t seen the show but I love this series. You are too funny B. And that sad thing is there are people who don’t work at gyms who wear sweatpants to work – I definitely agree they should be reserved for workout wear! And the Joker (no messy red lipstick for me though!), and superheroes ;D.
    Elle latest blog post: Body Envy

• Cyrillynn June 15, 2011, 8:20 PM

As a True Blood fanatic, THIS IS BRILLIANT! LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Especially #4 after our whole discussion about PJ jeans and tracksuits :)

Absolutely fabulous! And the picture of Eric is HOTT. *sigh* Now I really can’t wait for the new season.
    xoxo
    Cyrillynn
    Cyrillynn latest blog post: Pieces From A Working Mom’s Wardrobe

• vanessa June 15, 2011, 6:46 PM

I never knew I could learn so much from vampires. I actually really like the sexy/sweet style.
    vanessa latest blog post: Outfit of the day Plaid about you

• Alexis of NorthOnHarper June 15, 2011, 6:37 PM

Seriously— I think I was laughing out loud in the plane. Your observations are fantastic :)
    Alexis of NorthOnHarper latest blog post: NoH Does- First Impressions

• lauren June 15, 2011, 5:17 PM

This was such a fun read! You are so funny and charismatic, such a likable gal!

I can’t wait to watch the new season of True Blood. I’ve missed it for far too long!
    lauren latest blog post: Teaser news

• Bella Q June 15, 2011, 4:56 PM

You are friggin’ hilarious. And brilliant. And hilarious.
    Bella Q latest blog post: outfit post- What I Wore Second Saturday

• MJ June 15, 2011, 4:42 PM

Though I’m not a big fan of the show (please ya’ll don’t shoot me! LOL) I love the beauty and fashion breakdown! I’m all about showing off your best features and the swimwear is super cute! I’ve definitely gone from too casual to a more put together look when I go to the beach! :)

• Courtney June 15, 2011, 4:33 PM

I was wondering what you next a la Jack Sparrow post was going to be! So happy it was True Blood. I also love how you didn’t focus on Sookie. Let’s be honest here, Anna Paquin is annoying. Sorry, it had to be said.

On another note, I literally said to someone last week, “How can I get arms like Tara from True Blood?”
    Courtney latest blog post: A Year without Facebook