This week’s Friend Friday topic is a bit more informal. Instead of focusing on the ins and outs of fashion and blogging, this time Katy switched the focus to us as individuals. Participants are to share 10 random facts about ourselves that people may be surprised to know.
I almost didn’t participate this week because I feel like I have actually shared the most interesting things about me here and here. I wasn’t sure I could really come up with ten more, but here they are!
1. I am a film fanatic. I have been known to hit the festival circuit over the years and have been fortunate enough to attend both the Toronto and Tribeca Film Festivals. Being a Cleveland girl, I have also gone to the Cleveland International Film Festival every year for as long as I can remember. Some might call me a film snob, but I don’t discriminate between blockbusters, independent releases, classics, etc. I love to watch them all. If I am flipping channels on the TV, there are certain movies that will make me stop every time:
2. Some of you may already know this, but I have a crush on Marshall Mathers III, aka Eminem. I have had a crush on him since the first time I heard “My Name Is…” in 1999. Don’t judge.
3. My first real Halloween costume was a plastic Wonder Woman outfit. Do you remember those? Before the days of the fancy-shmancy Halloween costumes children often have today, we wore bed sheets and went out like ghosts, or wore plastic costumes. I found this photo online of someone else, but this is the same costume I wore! Classy, right? No matter how badly I wanted to, I just didn’t look like Lynda Carter…
4. I have yet to find a television show that I love as much as I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Every week, I would watch Buffy and her friends battle the demons and/or vampires that served as an allegory to the trials and tribulations of growing up. Genius. Pure genius. And the writing? Phenomenal.
5. I jumped out of a plane once. It was a tandem jump, so I was strapped to a professional skydiver who knew what he was doing. I was fine up until the moment that I stepped to the edge of the plane. We jumped, and then I decided I wanted to change my mind. Too late. I swore all the way down.
Then, after surviving, I wanted to do it again!
6. I hate the idea of strangers touching me. It makes me uncomfortable and twitchy. As a result, I have always shied away from professional massages because the very idea of them freaked me out. That is, until this past March. During our vacation, we ended up going to the Santé Wellness Center and Spa in Roatan, Honduras. I had my first real massage that day, and it was – in a word – heavenly.
7. The nicest compliment I ever received was from a former ex-bf who said that I looked like Laetitia Casta. We are both brunettes. We both have blue eyes. We have similar coloring. Unfortunately, that is where the resemblance ends! Clearly, my ex needed glasses, but nevertheless, I smile every time I think of that!
8. Although I enjoy Strawberry Twizzlers, I hate black licorice with a passion. I can’t stand the taste (I think it’s the anise). I can’t stand the smell. Yuck.
Since I am talking about dislikes, I can also add that I don’t like the taste of rum in desserts. It can be a pretty common ingredient in Serbian desserts, and for the longest time my mother would try to trick me and say there wasn’t any in whatever it was she had made. Unfortunately for her, I could always tell. I could taste it. I could smell it. And I didn’t like it. Still don’t.
Yet I absolutely LOVE Tortuga Rum Cakes. I know, it makes no sense.
10. I love watching scary movies. I’m not taking about slasher movies like the usual Freddy and Jason flicks. I am talking scary, psychological, get into your head and mess with your mind movies. My favorites include:
What are some interesting facts that people may not know about you?
To see what other bloggers are saying about this topic, click here;
For more info on ModlyChic’s Friend Friday series, click here.